Retiring is all about relaxing, enjoying life and also being a little money conscious. Although we’re not the popular retire destination of Florida, Canada has a lot to offer. Here are the top five places to retire as ranked by Money Sense (1).
5. Rimouski, QC
Rimouski, Quebec is a French speaking city located at the mouth of the Rimouski River. With a population of 46, 860, Rimouski is home to many tourist, and cultural attractions for all ages. The city is also home to the Universite du Quebec a Rimouski, and the Cegep de Rimouski College. Below are some things to consider before deciding to retire in Rimouski.
Rimouski, Quebec is home to the Manoir Les Générations: Private Retirement Homes. These apartments are available in 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and 2 different types of studios.
The average monthly disposable income salary after taxes in Rimouski, Quebec is $3, 200 making the annual gross disposable salary after taxes 38, 400$.
The average annual gross income for someone applying for a mortgage is 43,000$. This is a difference of negative $17, 836.57 as compared to the rest of Canada (2). The average age in Rimouski for someone applying for a mortgage is 38, the oldest 47, and the youngest 31 (3).
The average rent of a 1 bedroom in the city centre of Rimouski, Quebec is $625, and outside city centre is $550.
The property taxes in Rimouski average to an amount of $1, 523 a year (3).
There are 3.89 doctors per 1000 people in Rimouski (1). There are 170 doctors at the hospital, CSSS Rimouski-Neigette. This hospital is actually the largest employer in Rimouski. It specializes in: cardiology, endocrinology, fertility, gastro-enterology, hematology, obstetric-gynecology, neurology, oncology, ORL, orthopedic, pediatric, rheumatology, surgery, and urology. The hospital also has emergency, intensive care, and pharmacy departments. (4)
The weather in Rimouski is mild with 197 days above 0 °C. The average July temperature is 18.2 °C, and the average January temperature is -11.7 °C (5).
Rimouski is home to many special festivals, events, art galleries, trails and more.
Special Festivals and Events
- Festi Jazz International
- Les Grandes Fêtes TELUS
- Rimouski Air Show
- Opéra-Théâtre de Rimouski
- Exposition agricole de Rimouski
- Atelier – Galerie d’art Hélène Couture
- Galerie d’art Léonard-Parent
- L’Art en Tête
- Vu en Pointillés
- Galerie-Atelier La Verrière aux images
Wildlife/Nature Observation and Trails
- Bic National Park
- Canyon des Portes de l’Enfer
- Parc de sentiers aériens
- Parc Beauséjour
- Parc du Mont-Saint-Louis
- Parc Lepage
- Reford Gardens
- Sentiers du littoral et de la rivière Rimouski
4. Victoria, British Columbia
Victoria is the capital of British Columbia. Victoria is located at the southern tip of the Vancouver Island. Victoria is known to many as a booming tourist location. Also known as “The Garden City”, the gardens, water and mountains are just a few of the reasons why people love to visit Victoria.
The average monthly disposable salary after tax is 3, 021.33 a month, which equals approximately 36, 255 a year (6).
The average mortgage loan in Victoria is $289, 210 and the annual gross income for mortgage applicants in Vancouver is $69, 232.16. This amounts to a difference of $8, 360.36 compared to the rest of Canada. The average age for mortgage application in Victoria is 39, with the youngest being 21 and the oldest being 76 (7).
The average rent of a 1 bedroom apartment in the city centre is $1,102.77 a month, and outside the city centre is 896.40 a month.
Property taxes are on average $1026 a year in Victoria, British Columbia (6).
Victoria has an average of 3.14 doctors per 1000 people (1). This means that there is more doctors then people, making for quick and easy access.
Victoria features 319 days a year above 0°C (1). An average January day is 3.8 °C and July features an average temperature of 16.4 °C (8).
Victoria, British Columbia is home to many cultural events, attractions and beaches (9).
Arts, Culture and History
- Art Gallery of Greater Victoria
- Craigdarroch Castle Historic House Museum
- Maritime Museum of British Columbia
- RifflandiaBallet Victoria Society
- Butterfly Gardens
- Eagle Wing Whale Watching Tours
- British Columbia Parliament Buildings
- Botanical Beach Provincial Park
- Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park
- Island View Beach Regional Park
3. Stratford, ON
Stratford, Ontario is located in southwestern Ontario, Canada. Stratford is referred to by many as a “Great Arts Town”. Stratford is also well known for its big theater productions, especially its Shakespearean festivals. Stratford is also home to world-wide pop superstar, Justin Bieber.
The average monthly disposable salary after taxes is $4, 533.33 which amounts to approximately $54, 400 a year.
The average rent amounts to $766.67 in the city centre, and $650.00 outside the city centre (10).
The average cost of property taxes in Stratford, Ontario is $1840.
There are 3.13 per 1000 people in Stratford, Ontario (1).
The average annual January temperature is -6.7°C and 19.7°C in July. (11) Stratford has an average of 216 days above 0 °C (1).
There any many events and attractions to visit in Stratford, Ontario (12).
- Stratford Garden Festival
- Stratford Festival
- Blyth Festival
- Swan Weekend
- Shakespearean Garden
2. Toronto, ON
Toronto, Ontario is a big city with a lot to offer. Even though Toronto is a large and bustling city, there are several of quaint and peaceful suburb pockets within the city. Toronto is home to more than 140 different neighborhoods. From a booming nightlife to quiet parks, Toronto has something for everyone.
The average monthly disposable salary after tax in Toronto is $3, 429.40 which amounts to approximately $41, 200 a year (13).
The average annual gross income for mortgage applicants in Toronto is $73, 449.75 which is $12, 577.95 more than other places in Canada. The average mortgage loan in Toronto Ontario is $271, 691. The average age for a mortgage loan is 38, the oldest is 85 and the youngest is 20 (13).
The average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in the city centre is $1,490.80, and outside the city centre is $1, 132.23 (14).
Property taxes average $1710 a year in Toronto.
In Toronto, Ontario, there at 2.03 doctors per 1000 people (1).
There are 264 days above 0 °C in Toronto (1). The average temperature in January is -4.2 °C and 22.2 °C in July (15).
There are many events and attractions in Toronto, Ontario.
- CN Tower
- Air Canada Centre
- Rogers Centre
- City Hall
- Eaton’s Centre
- Ripley’s Aquarium
1. Ottawa, ON
Ottawa, Ontario is not only the nation’s capital. Ottawa is located in southern Ontario and is home to over 880,000 people making it the 4th largest city in Canada. Ottawa is situated on the south bank of the Ottawa River and borders Gatineau, Quebec.
The average monthly disposable income after taxes is $3, 218.95, which equals to approximately $38, 650 a year.
The annual gross income for those who apply for mortgages in Ottawa is $65, 322.98 which is $4,451.18 more than other applicants in Canada. The average age of someone applying for a mortgage in Ottawa in 37, the oldest is 77 and the youngest is 19 (16).
The average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in the city centre is $1, 148.95, and outside the city centre of $899.33 (17). The property taxes amount to a cost of $2498 a year.
The property taxes amount to a cost of $2498 a year.
There are 2.53 doctors per 1000 residents in Ottawa (1). That means that there are 2.53 doctors for every person in the capital.
There are 206 days above 0 °C in Ottawa (1). The average temperature in January is -10.5°C and 21°C in July.
Ottawa is home to several events and attractions.
- RBC Royal Bank Bluesfest
- Ottawa Chamberfest
- Canadian Tulip Festival
- Canadian Museum of History
- Canada Aviation and Space Museum
- Parliament Hill
» Works Cited
1. Canada’s Best Places to Retire 2015. Money Sense. [Online] 06 01, 2015. [Cited: 02 16, 2016.]http://www.moneysense.ca/planning/canadas-best-places-to-retire-in-2015/. 1.
2. Cost of Living in Rimouski. Numbeo. [Online] 02 2016. [Cited: 02 22, 2016.] http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Rimouski%2CQC. 2.
3. Vancouver Mortgage Information. Super Brokers. [Online] 02 24, 2016. https://www.superbrokers.ca/stats/canadian-mortgages/british-columbia/vancouver-mortgages.phtm.
4. Centre integre de sante et de services sociaux du Bas-Saint-Laurent. http://www.chrr.qc.ca/. [Online] [Cited: 02 24, 2016.] http://www.chrr.qc.ca/.
5. Rimouski, Quebec Canada Climate Data. El Dorado Weather. [Online] [Cited: 02 22, 2016.] http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/canada/climate2/Rimouski.html.
6. Cost of Living in Vancouver. Numbeo. [Online] 02 2016. [Cited: 02 22, 2016.] http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Vancouver.
7. Victoria Mortgage Information. Super Brokers. [Online] 08 13, 2015. [Cited: 02 22, 2016.] https://www.superbrokers.ca/stats/canadian-mortgages/british-columbia/victoria-mortgages.phtm.
8. Statistics. The Weather Network. [Online] [Cited: 02 29, 2016.] http://www.theweathernetwork.com/forecasts/statistics/cl1018620.
9. Things to Do in Victoria, B.C. Victoria British Columbia: Full of Life. [Online] [Cited: 02 22, 2016.] http://www.tourismvictoria.com/things-to-do/.
10. Cost of Living in Stratford. Numbeo. [Online] 02 2016. [Cited: 02 19, 2016.] http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Stratford%2C+ON.
11. Stratford, Ontario Canada Climate Data. El Dorado Weather. [Online] [Cited: 02 19, 2016.] http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/canada/climate2/Stratford.html.
12. Canada’s Premier Arts Town. Visit Stratford. [Online] [Cited: 02 29, 2016.] https://www.visitstratford.ca/.
13. Toronto Mortgage Information. Super Brokers. [Online] 08 13, 2015. [Cited: 02 19, 2016.] https://www.superbrokers.ca/stats/canadian-mortgages/ontario/toronto-mortgages.phtm.
14. Cost of Living in Toronto. Numbeo. [Online] 02 2016. [Cited: 02 22, 2016.] http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Toronto.
15. Toronto, Ontario Canada Climate Data. El Dorago Weather. [Online] [Cited: 02 19, 2016.] http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/canada/climate2/Toronto.html.
16. Ottawa Mortgage Information. Super Brokers. [Online] 08 13, 2015. [Cited: 02 29, 2016.] https://www.superbrokers.ca/stats/canadian-mortgages/ontario/ottawa-mortgages.phtm.
17. Cost of Living in Ottawa. Numbeo. [Online] 02 2016. [Cited: 02 19, 2016.] http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Ottawa.
» Hide Works Cited