Relocating to Bangalore, India: IT Industry Boom
Relocation for IT & Software Engineers to Bangalore, India is on the rise. Since 2001 Bangalore has seen a population growth of approximately 8.4 million people. Bangalore, also known as the “Silicon Valley of India” (1) is the 2nd fastest growing major metropolis in India, and is also the 2nd fastest growing start-up ecosystem in the world (2).
As the industrial core booms, over 50% of Fortune 500 companies have chosen to move their in-house IT departments there (3). Companies such as Google, Microsoft, Siebel, I2, Macromedia, webMethods, Bosch, IBM, and even Amazon have made the move. This growth, and the unsteady IT market in the U.S., is driving Americans to Bangalore. There are even forums such as Americans in Bangalore via InterNations that allows other Americans to communicate with those who have already relocated to Bangalore.
The reason behind this dramatic increase is simple: after Texas Instruments paved the way in the 90’s, more companies saw the benefits and the staggering development of new technology. On average, 3 new technology companies are opening their research and development centres in Bangalore every week. This is leading to young Americans moving to Bangalore to build their resumes, launch businesses, learn, and to contribute to and witness one of the world’s fastest growing economies (4).
If you’re thinking about, or have been offered a relocation position in Bangalore, here are some pros and cons to life in Bangalore.
Bangalore, India is the capital of Indian state of Karnataka (1). This city is home to upwards of 7.2 million people (5) and is located in Southern India on the Deccan Plateau. It is on the highest elevation among major cities in India (1). Bangalore is also known as the “Garden City of India” (1). This is because of its vast green spaces, large and beautiful gardens, as well as its numerous parks.
The average salary for those working in an IT position in Bangalore depends on their title. Some common titles and salaries include (7):
- Network Engineer: $4,354
- Information Technology Consultant: $11,245
- Web Developer: $3,700
- Programmer Analyst: $5,041
- Database Administrator: $6,089
- Software Developer: $6,518
- Project Manager, Information Technology: $21,158
- Senior Database Administrator: $13,401
Finding a house close to your work place is a necessity in Bangalore. The traffic makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to commute during peak hours (8). The price of an average 1 bedroom apartment in the city core is approximately $207 a month, and a 3 bedroom in the city core is approximately $525 (9).
Cost of Living
Bangalore is ranked as number 132 out of 133 cities for cost of living by a survey conducted by the Economist Intelligence Unit (10). This means that the cost of living in Bangalore is approximately 40% of that in New York.
Bangalore has a tropical Savanna climate. During the months of September to March the average temperature ranges from 28°C to 32°C. From March to May the maximum temperature has been recorded at 38°C (6).
There are many options if you opt to relocate with children. These schools are safe and highly regarded as top some of the top schools in the world. Some of the main international schools that offer CBSE and ICSE curriculums include (11):
- The International School
- The Canadian International School
- Harvest International School
Driving in India is a challenge due to the traffic. It is advised by all expats and locals to avoid it at all costs. A small scooter is a much easier form of transportation to avoid the constant gridlock traffic. It is also suggested to reside close to work.
The crime rate in Bangalore is high and has increased to 8.5% of the total crimes reported from 35 major cities in India. The crime rate has increased 69.44% during the past 3 years as more people enter the city (12).
Bangalore also has major urbanization problems. Some of these problems include (13):
- Mass displacement
- Large amount of slum settlements
- Public health crisis due to water shortage
- Sewage issues in poor neighborhoods
- Dust pollution
Power is not stable in Bangalore. This can cause problems for those in IT departments because they are heavily reliant on constant power and internet connection (14).
It is important to consider all of the above factors before deciding if a corporate relocation to Bangalore is the right move for you. At TransferEASE our knowledgeable relocation experts can help you make an informed decision. Call us today to speak to a representative.
» Works Cited
- Bangalore. Bangalore The Garden City. [Online] [Cited: 04 11, 2016.] http://www.bangaloreindia.org.uk/index.html.
- Bangalore Is World’s 2n Fastest Growning Startip Ecosystem, Has Young Entrepreneurs, Says Study. Huffington Post. [Online] 07 29, 2015. [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/07/29/bangalore-global-startup-_n_7893924.html.
- 50% of Fortune 500 to have IT centres in India by 2015: Study. The Times of India. [Online] 04 08, 2013. [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/it-services/50-of-Fortune-500-to-have-IT-centres-in-India-by-2015-Study/articleshow/19443583.cms.
- Americans seeking jobs in booming Bangalore. NBC News. [Online] [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12098123/ns/business-personal_finance/t/americans-seeking-jobs-booming-bangalore/.
- Bangalore Facts. Bangalore The Garden City. [Online] [Cited: 04 11, 2016.] http://www.bangaloreindia.org.uk/travel-tips/facts.html.
- Bengaluru. Way Back Machine. [Online] [Cited: 04 11, 2016.] https://web.archive.org/web/20131203023115/http://www.imd.gov.in/section/climate/bangaluru2.htm.
- Average Salary for Location: Bangalore, Karnataka. PayScale. [Online] 04 09, 2016. [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] http://www.payscale.com/research/IN/Location=Bangalore-Karnataka/Salary#by_Job.
- To All Bangaloreans! What are the pros and cons of living in Bangalore? Reddit. [Online] 12 2015. [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comments/3tsnhq/to_all_bangaloreans_what_are_the_pros_and_cons_of/.
- Cost of Living in Bangalore. Numbeo. [Online] 04 2016. [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=India&city=Bangalore&displayCurrency=USD.
- Worldwide cost of living survey. The Economist. [Online] 03 10, 2016. [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/03/daily-chart-4.
- International Schools in Bangalore. Bangalore Education. [Online] [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] http://www.bangaloreeducation.com/international-schools-in-bangalore/.
- Crime in Bangalore, India. Numbeo. [Online] 04 2016. [Cited: 04 12, 0216.] http://www.numbeo.com/crime/city_result.jsp?country=India&city=Bangalore.
- Slum dwellers rehoused in wasteland without water, power, hospital. An IIJNM Web Publication. [Online] [Cited: 04 11, 2016.] http://www.iijnm.org/media_uploads/thesoftcopy/2011_2012/city_slum.html.
- Working in Bangalore. InterNations. [Online] [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] https://www.internations.org/bangalore-expats/guide/working-in-bangalore-15319.
- Bangalore Languages. Bangalore The Garden City. [Online] [Cited: 04 11, 2016.] http://www.bangaloreindia.org.uk/culture/languages.html.
- Exclusive! 50% of Bangalore’s Air Pollution Caused Due to Dust. DNA India. [Online] 11 28, 2011. [Cited: 04 11, 2016.] http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/report-exclusive-50-of-bangalore-s-air-pollution-caused-due-to-dust-1618349.
- Map. Waste Atlas. [Online] [Cited: 04 11, 2016.] http://www.atlas.d-waste.com/.
- India’s top 15 cities with the highest GDP. Yahoo! Finance. [Online] 09 28, 2012. [Cited: 04 11, 2016.] https://in.finance.yahoo.com/photos/the-top-15-indian-cities-by-gdp-1348807591-slideshow/the-top-15-indian-cities-by-gdp-photo-1348807047.html.
- Bangalore Religions. Bangalore India. [Online] [Cited: 04 11, 2016.] http://www.bangaloreindia.org.uk/culture/religions.html.
- Economic Contribution of the Indian Motion Picture and Television Industry. Deloitte. [Online] 03 2014. [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/in/Documents/technology-media-telecommunications/in-tmt-economic-contribution-of-motion-picture-and-television-industry-noexp.pdf.
- Bangalore’s evolution as an IT city. Zinnov. [Online] [Cited: 04 12, 2016.] http://zinnov.com/bangalores-evolution-as-an-it-city/.
» Hide Works Cited